CK Friday Links--Friday September 2, 2011

Here's yet another selection of interesting links from around the internet. As always, I welcome your thoughts and your feedback.

PS: Follow me on Twitter!

*************************
Seven unusual advantages of cooking for one. (stonesoup)

An simple formula to calculate the number of daily calories you need in order to lose weight. (344 Pounds)

Ten surprisingly creative ways to switch up your kid's healthy school lunch. (100 Days of Real Food)

On culinary elitism and "serious diners." (Accidental Hedonist) Bonus Post: Why vegetarians are such jackasses.

Recipe Links:
You might have to visit your local Latin food market for a few ingredients, but trust me, it'll be worth it. Puerco en Chile Colorado. (Alosha's Kitchen)

The best baked fish you'll ever have: Algerian Baked Fish. (64 Sq. Ft. Kitchen)

An easy way to use up those in-season eggplants: Fried Eggplant Topped with Sauteed Tomatoes, Herbs and Cheddar Cheese. (A Little Bit Of Spain In Iowa)

Off-Topic Links:
Learning to love poverty, war, famine and disease. (Steve Pavlina)

Why it pays to rethink your decision-making rules. Even the smallest ones. (The Simple Dollar)

How to use tiny barriers to avoid kooks. (I Will Teach You To Be Rich)


Do you have an interesting article or recipe that you'd like to see featured in Casual Kitchen's Food Links? Send me an email!


How can I support Casual Kitchen?
If you enjoy reading Casual Kitchen, tell a friend and spread the word! You can also support me by purchasing items from Amazon.com via links on this site, or by linking to me or subscribing to my RSS feed. Finally, you can consider submitting this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to bookmarking sites like del.icio.us, digg or stumbleupon. Thank you for your support!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

While I loved the Frank Bruni article re. Bourdain, Deen, and unsavory culinary elitism... I actually am on the side of Rogue 24 with the whole contract thing. This is what I said about it a couple of weeks ago:

They are asking that their patrons: 1) tell them their plans, times, dietary restrictions, drink preferences and special requests no less than 72 hours in advance; 2) BE ON TIME; 3) not frustrate, blind, assault the ears of, annoy other patrons by using their cameras or cell phones.

I stand by it. It's reasonable. I would never eat there MYSELF, of course, since I am a crusader for cooking better and cheaper at home, but still... they have the right and I don't find it obnoxious.

Thanks for the chile colorado link. I've made it three times in 4 weeks and it gets better every time. AMAZING good. And more proof that simple is best.

Daniel said...

Thanks for the thoughts Melissa.

As readers know, I'm a crusader against culinary elitism. But I also believe business owners have a right to manage their business to the standards they choose--and restaurants have a right to create the customer experience they want. It's the customers, however, who have the right not to go if they don't want to sign a two page contract before eating out. :)

And thank you for that recipe. You've really been on a roll lately with some truly exceptional recipes.

DK