CK Links--Friday September 19, 2014

Links from around the internet. As always, I welcome your thoughts.

PS: Follow me on Twitter!

*************************
Don't soak your beans! (LA Times, via Addicted to Canning)

This is how to do a competent food stamp challenge, and show that healthy food doesn't have to be expensive. (Budget Bytes) Related: Why Senator Corey Booker really blew his chance.

Seven ways to turn one dinner into two. (Life Your Way)

Foodies can now pay a fortune to eat "famine food." (Spiked)

"Your food arrives when it's ready." Readers, what do you think of this restaurant trend? (The Amateur Gourmet)

Backlash against The Food Babe. (Bloomberg)

Why no one reads anymore, and what it means for writers. (New York Review of Books)

You will live more curiously if you write. You will see more. (James Somers)

Striking story of a young man's recovery from a traumatic brain injury. (Washington Post)


Got an interesting article or recipe to share? Want some extra traffic at your blog? Send me an email!


How can I support Casual Kitchen?
Easy. Do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site! You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.

3 comments:

chacha1 said...

had to skim through the NYTRB piece because after the first paragraph I was laughing. Oh woes to the literary novelist, woe, alas and woe! LOLOL

People are not reading anymore, huh. So, so self-pityingly wrong. They are reading all right - they are just not reading turgid overlong 19th-century novels, or modern "literary fiction" in which nothing happens. I read ALL THE TIME myself and I don't read those things.

I see no reason to call it a Bad Thing that people now have more to do than sit by an oil lamp, for the five hours a day that it's too dark to work outside, and read a multi-volume opus about a doomed inter-class romance.

People want to read books in which Something Happens. That's not a sign of the decline of western civilization.

Daniel said...

Hilarious Chacha. That is hilarious.

Sally: thanks for your input. I found that post and here's the link:

http://yourhealthisonyourplate.com/2013/07/weeks-and-weeks-of-meals/

You're right. Great, useful stuff.

DK

Daniel said...

Also, for readers looking to do something similar to Beth's SNAP challenge, or for any reader who's looking to save some extra money over a multiweek period of healthy eating, there's a post here at CK that should be very useful: Two People, Fifteen Days, Thirty Meals. Thirty-Five Bucks!.

Enjoy!

DK