CK Food Links--Friday July 11, 2008

I'm going to try a new feature here at CK and run an occasional links post of any particularly good recipes and other food- (and non-food) related sites I think are worth passing along.

Many of you already know that I have just a little bit more time on my hands these days--hopefully I can put all this extra websurfing I'm doing to good use by helping locate some of the good stuff out there in cyberspace.
Two spectacular and highly original margarita variants from Well Fed:
1) Smoky Grilled Grapefruit Margarita
2) The SueƱo
To borrow a quote from the late, great George Carlin, "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor."

CheapHealthyGood: 20 Cheap, Healthy Dishes Made From 10 Pantry Staples
With limited space in her pantry, Kris at CHG shows how she can make a preposterously wide range of dishes from a modest stash of inexpensive staples. This is a classic example of 80/20 thinking, and her post makes for pragmatic advice that anyone can put to good use.

Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies with Maple Cinnamon Glaze from Never Bashful With Butter:
What's fascinating to me is the variety of reactions to this recipe, ranging from horror at the blasphemy of combining bacon with a chocolate chip cookie, to intense curiosity at such a bizarre food combination. I'm still reeling from reading it.

The Human Mirror:
Nothing to do with cooking, and admittedly this has been picked up by some other sites already, but this is a world-class prank. And it's so New York.

Lord of the Wings
An Ontario-based blogger in search of the perfect chicken wing. Could there possibly be a better idea for a blog? Includes wings and hot sauce reviews with an elaborate ratings scale--including "burn chronology" (I can tell I'd like this guy). I particularly enjoyed reading about his pilgrimmage to Buffalo, NY, and his intense disappointment with his visit to the restaurant that was supposedly the birthplace of the chicken wing:

So, like with all religions, my faith was somewhat shattered. Fortunately, I have had excellent wings elsewhere in the world. Don't get me wrong, The Anchor Bar is a cherished site, it has given a gift to the world that the world can never repay. But in the evolutionary chart, the wing has definitely grown up since leaving Buffalo.

And I thought he'd complain about the weather. Anyone who's ever gotten their hopes up a bit too high and had them dashed should sympathize.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Dan! Thanks for the link, man!