CK Food Links--Friday August 29, 2008

Here's yet another selection of particularly interesting food-related links from around the internet.
*************************
Spaghetti Alla Carbonara at Chefs Gone Wild
I've been following this private chef's blog for a while now, and when he put up a post on how to make a real carbonara sauce, I had to share it with my readers. That egg yolk really makes the dish into a work of art.

Antioxidant Alert! Braised Silverbeet Stalks at Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once:
A long time ago I ran a post on How to Cook Swiss Chard which celebrated this inexpensive and antioxidant-rich leafy green. This Aussie blogger posts one of the easiest, most elegant preparations of swiss chard (or silverbeet, as they call it down under) that I've ever seen. One side note: for those of us in the USA where that whole metric thing just never caught on, a 15 ounce can of crushed tomatoes is equivalent to 440 grams.

Homemade Belizean Hot Pepper Sauce
Lyra at Rice and Beans in DC shows us how to take habanero peppers and turn them into a ridiculously easy-to-make fiery hot pepper sauce. Glorious.

Minty Eggplant Masala from Holy Cow! One of my favorite vegetarian Indian food blogs featured a particularly delicious and easy-to-make eggplant dish this week. If you're curious what "jaggery" is (I certainly was), it's a form of unrefined sugar common to India and available here in Indian specialty food stores. You can use brown sugar in its place.

Rejected York Peppermint Pattie slogans at Timothy McSweeney's
My personal favorite: "When I bite into a York Peppermint Pattie, I get the sensation of being curled in a ball inside a cold, dark cave filled with my darkest, most paralyzing fears."

Life Skills 101 at Cheap Healthy Good
Kris over at CHG wrote a truly original post this week about all of the useful things we should have been taught in high school, and she even structured the post in the form of a lesson plan! Her thoughts range from budgeting and credit to cooking and diet. I always wish there had been a class in high school on deciphering your paycheck. If I had known way back then about all those taxes and paycheck deductions, I probably would have rethought that whole working thing.

How can I support Casual Kitchen?
If you enjoy reading Casual Kitchen, tell a friend and spread the word! Another way you can support me is by submitting this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to bookmarking sites like del.icio.us, digg or stumbleupon.


No comments: