Retro Sundays

This Week in History at Casual Kitchen:


Who's Watching the Watchdogs? Ethical Problems in the "Ten Riskiest Foods" Report By the CSPI (October 2009)
An important post on how on supposedly pro-consumer watchdog organization manufactured a health scare out of nothing. Who gets hurt? Read this post and decide for yourself.

Four Steps to Put an End to Overeating (October 2009)
Author David Kessler shares four key recommendations to rein in what he considers a food industry run amok. I examine each one of his conclusions--some good, some hopelessly misguided. PS: If you haven't already, be sure to read his book The End of Overeating, a book I rewarded with a rabidly positive review.

Braised Pork in Guajillo Chile Sauce (October 2007)
This recipe, from the exceptional cookbook Daisy Cooks, changed how I cook. It introduced me to brand new ingredients, taught me a totally new cuisine--and eventually, after an embarrassing attempt at speaking to a cute shopgirl in a Mexican specialty foods store, it led me to Chile to get competent at Spanish. Funny how life works sometimes.







How can I support Casual Kitchen?
If you enjoy reading Casual Kitchen, tell a friend and spread the word! You can also support me by purchasing items from Amazon.com via links on this site, or by linking to me or subscribing to my RSS feed. Finally, you can consider submitting this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to bookmarking sites like del.icio.us, digg or stumbleupon. Thank you for your support!

No comments: