Disputing My Own Negative Self-Talk

Readers, this is just a quick follow up to Tuesday's post on disputing our negative internal explanations. I have to share my own personal example of negative self-talk with you.

I had been working on the other day's post for forever, and I was really struggling with it. I just couldn't get it right. In fact, I still kind of think it's pretty bad. The flow of the piece isn't quite right and, I don't know, it seems kind of boring.

Which is a tragedy on some level because this concept from Martin Seligman's book Learned Optimism was a truly powerful, life-changing insight for me. I wanted to get the central idea across to readers using an everyday example, but it just wasn't working.

So, here was my negative self-talk as I was working on the post:

Jeez Dan, you really suck at writing. You are so slow. It takes you a zillion edits to even get a decent paragraph written. You are never going to amount to anything as a writer.

Heavy, right? But then I burst out laughing at the irony of it all: I was guilty of negative self-talk as I was writing a piece on disputing negative self-talk! Hilarious.

So, what did I do? I took my own dose of Dr. Seligman's medicine: I "disputed" it.

Stop! You don't suck at writing. You're just struggling with this specific piece. And so what if it takes you lots of edits to get something worded just right? PS: A zillion isn't even a real number. Finally, who says you're not going to amount to anything as a writer? What does that even mean? You had 800,000 pageviews last year at Casual Kitchen, and you've created a body of work here that's approaching 700 articles. I'd say that amounts to something, wouldn't you?

I couldn't really come up with anything to dispute the "you are so slow" statement. But, well, three out of four ain't bad.

Guess what happened next after I conducted this little experiment in disputation (besides realizing that maybe I should, uh, reread Seligman's book)? I went right back to writing and pounded out yet another post. And I had a big smile on my face.





How can I support Casual Kitchen?
For those readers interested in supporting Casual Kitchen, the easiest way is to do so is to do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site. You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.

2 comments:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Based on that post, I reserved the book at the library. Actually, your post couldn't have come at a better time and I appreciated it. Thanks for all of the hard work you put into your site. It IS appreciated!

Daniel said...

Thanks Cagey, I really appreciate the feedback and the positive vibes. And I'm confident you'll get a lot of value out of Learned Optimism. I took--no joke--eleven pages of notes while reading it! It's well, well worth a close careful read.

Let me know if you decide to write anything about the book on your own blog. I'd love to hear your take and your reactions.

DK