CK Friday Links--Friday December 20, 2013

Links from around the internet. As always, I welcome your thoughts.

PS: Follow me on Twitter!

*************************
The case against multi-vitamins grows stronger. (NPR)

Looking for baking substitutes for butter, milk or eggs? Here you go! (Vega Blog)

Do this simple test and you'll be shocked at imprecise your oven is. Also: it helps to think like a scientist sometimes! (Beyond Salmon)

Great conversation starters for a holiday dinner. (Owlhaven)

The best pork tenderloins you’ll ever have: Brined, Grilled and Basted Pork Tenderloins. (Food and Fire)

Say what you want about his crappy software, but Bill Gates is a reliable source of good reading. Here are his favorites books from 2013. (Gates Notes)

Five reasons why 2013 was the best year in human history. (Think Progress)

Mentally strong people avoid each of these 13 things. (Forbes)

Got an interesting article or recipe to share? Want some extra traffic at your blog? Send me an email!


How can I support Casual Kitchen?
Easy. Do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site! You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.

4 comments:

Stuart Carter said...

That Forbes article is horrific. As I looked down the list I couldn't help thinking about the studies reviewing the levels of psychopathy in C-level personnel, and half of that list panders to that personality type.

To paraphrase the first part of the list, the part that immediately set off alarms in my head:
1. Lack of self-awareness.
2. Lack of empathy.
3. Impulsiveness.
4. Emotional shallowness.
5. Grandiose self-worth.
6. Calculating manipulativeness.
7. Superficiality.
These are core parts of the Hare Psychopathy Checklist, the gold standard for assessing psychopathic personality types.

And OF COURSE Forbes' customers loved that kind of list, because they are psychopaths themselves and they see a nice list apparently praising them for the issues that led to the economic meltdown, provided conveniently by their own peer group magazine.

Everything about that article has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Daniel said...

Spectacular comment Stuart. Really interesting reading of that article. As an occasional (and hopefully non-psychopathic?) Forbes reader myself, I'd agree that they have a demographic to appeal to, and it's going to be corporate/C-suite people, or at least people aspiring to the C-suite realm.

But all that aside, my reading of this article is much more literal than yours, I suppose. In fact, I found the information useful in particular in the investment and personal finance domain--where you have to get past your mistakes, you have to operate in an "alone" environment, you have to take calculated risks, etc. In this domain (at least in my life) this advice is *literally* true.

DK

Owlhaven said...

Thanks for the mention!

chacha1 said...

Really liked the ThinkProgress piece. It's easy to focus on the quotidien negative, but when you can stand back and take the long view there is no doubt things are getting better. :-)