CK Links--Friday March 18, 2016

Links!

Don't forget: The easiest way to support Casual Kitchen is to buy your items at Amazon using the various links here. Just click over to Amazon, and EVERY purchase you make during that visit pays a modest affiliate commission to support my work here. Best of all, this comes at zero extra cost to you. As always, I welcome your thoughts.

PS: Follow me on Twitter!

*************************
Food/Health:
Are you hungry, really? How we lost touch with a basic instinct. (Furthermore)

A broader perspective on the quality of our food supply. (Backyard Farming)

If a government's aim is to make money, then Mexico's soda tax is a great success. In terms of impacting obesity however... (Food Navigator)

"The next piece to this puzzle is to know that nutrition is barely discussed in most medical schools." (A Sweet Life)

The de-professionalization of medicine. (A Country Doctor Writes)

Other Topics:
The "Tiger Mom tax" on SAT prep courses. Fascinating. (ProPublica)

The entire field of psychological research on human willpower turns out to be utterly baseless. (Slate)

A classic from MMM's archives: Know the difference between your circle of control and your circle of concern. (Mr. Money Mustache)

Chunking and functional fixity: why our writing sucks, and how to make it suck less. Ideas from Steven Pinker's new book The Sense of Style. (Farnam Street)

Bonus: Get 5% better. (Farnam Street)





Got an interesting article or recipe to share? Want some extra traffic at your blog? Send me an email!


How can I support Casual Kitchen?
Easy. Do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site! You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.

3 comments:

Kathryne said...

I have mixed feelings about the "Are You Hungry?" article. It seems predicated on the notion that it is more 'natural' for humans to eat for optimal weight-management, which I don't think is the case. Evolutionarily, we should be prompting ourselves to overeat.

Daniel said...

I hear you Kathryne. What I drew from that article was to have a more mindful approach toward hunger, rather than to just react to it. Or worst case, to react to it by eating whatever junk food happens to be within reach.

DK

Kathryne said...

Fair enough! :)