CK Friday Links--Friday November 13, 2009

Here's yet another selection of particularly interesting links from around the internet. As always, I welcome your thoughts and your feedback.

PS: follow me on Twitter!

*************************
Every cook should consult this two-part series describing every ethical, cultural and medical dietary restriction imaginable: from Atkins to Vegan and from Kosher to Mormon! (Cheap Healthy Good)

Particularly fitting this week, given my ongoing raw foods trial: Descriptions of the different types of raw, raw vegan, and 80/10/10 raw diets, followed by a discussion of the key benefits of going raw. (FoodnSport.com)

How to store fresh eggs long term. (Es*sense Blog)

Buy-local enthusiasts: be wary of localwashing: making something seem local when it's actually not. (Brave New Traveler)

Recipe Links:
Three different kinds of Roasted Pumpkin Seeds. (Cupcake Punk)

An easy way to make your own homemade Chili Powder. (Beach Eats) (Talk about a great way to manage your spice costs!)

Want to reconsider the Brussels sprout? Just add fire and booze: Brussels Meets Brandy. (Christie's Corner)

An intriguing Apple Chutney recipe. (Closet Cooking) Bonus recipe: Cranberry Chutney.

A bonus seasonal recipe post from CK: Fifty Delicious Recipes Containing Apples: (Casual Kitchen).

Off-Topic Links:
Workout ideas when you don't have access to a gym. (Ben Casnocha's Blog)

Show me one person who's excited about extreme early retirement and I will show you five who think it's all about making your own toilet paper. (Early Retirement Extreme)

A flow chart on how to choose a religion. (Note: don't take it too seriously and be sure to enjoy all the indignant comments.) (Holy Kaw!)

Most parental discipline isn't for the kid's benefit--rather, it's to bolster the adult's identity construct of being "a good parent." (The Last Psychiatrist) Bonus post: how the Parents Television Council inadvertently promotes sex on TV.

Do you have an interesting article or recipe that you'd like to see featured in Casual Kitchen's Food Links? Send me an email!

How can I support Casual Kitchen?
If you enjoy reading Casual Kitchen, tell a friend and spread the word! You can also support me by purchasing items from Amazon.com via links on this site, or by linking to me or subscribing to my RSS feed. Finally, you can consider submitting this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to bookmarking sites like del.icio.us, digg or stumbleupon. Thank you for your support!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

The DIY chile powder idea is so perfect for me right now and I can't imagine why I never thought of it. I have a bunch of chiles from that dear coworker who always gives me goodies from his garden. But I can never use them all in a timely fashion. How fortuitous for me that you linked to her post!

I like both of The Last Psych posts this week too.

And a friend of mine posted that religion flowchart on my FB page a bit ago. Loved it. I believe some of those commenters need to lighten up a bit.

Daniel said...

Thanks for your comment Melissa! I'm always happy to connect good people to good information.

And agreed on The Last Psychiatrist. That blog is excellent exercise for a person's critical thinking muscles. I'm a huge fan.

DK