Retro Sundays

I created the Retro Sundays series to help newer readers easily navigate the very best of this blog's enormous back catalog of content. Each Retro Sundays column serves up a selection of the best articles from this week in history here at Casual Kitchen.

As always, please feel free to explore CK's Recipe Index, the Best Of Casual Kitchen page and my full Index of Posts. You can also receive my updates at Twitter.

******************************
This Week in History at Casual Kitchen:

Obesity and the Obama Administration: A Blogger Roundtable Discussion (October 2009)
I asked a rountable of five bloggers for their top recommendations for Obama to solve our obesity epidemic. The result? A collection of surprisingly blunt and creative ideas.

The 25 Best Laughably Cheap Recipes at Casual Kitchen (October 2009)
Twenty-five of the easiest, most delicious, and downright laughably cheapest recipes ever posted on this site. Several dozen blogs, message boards and sites linked to this post, helping make it one of the most-read of CK's entire history.

A Recession-Proof Guide to Saving Money on Food (October 2008)
An extremely popular roundup of all of my best articles on how to save money on food.

Curried Pork With Apples (October 2008)
You'll love the unique and striking combination of tastes in this easy and unusual recipe. From my 50 Recipes Containing Apples linkfest.

Braised Pork in Guajillo Chile Sauce (October 2007)
This recipe, from the exceptional cookbook Daisy Cooks, changed how I cook. It introduced me to brand new ingredients, taught me a totally new cuisine--and led to a highly embarrassing story of me attempting to speak Spanish with a shopgirl in a Mexican specialty foods store.





How can I support Casual Kitchen?
If you enjoy reading Casual Kitchen, tell a friend and spread the word! You can also support me by purchasing items from Amazon.com via links on this site, or by linking to me or subscribing to my RSS feed. Finally, you can consider submitting this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to bookmarking sites like del.icio.us, digg or stumbleupon. Thank you for your support!

5 comments:

Marcia said...

I like your historical post roundups. I hadn't read the roundtable discussion. Very interesting ideas! Mine would be along the lines of access to healthy food for sure. Both in ending the corn subsidies and also in promoting growing of local food, access to grocery stores.

Though those last two are more of a local thing.

Daniel said...

Thanks Marcia, and I hear you on your views. I'm totally in agreement with ending corn subsidies. In my view it's a deeply ironic unintended consequence that we're making ourselves fat through government largesse in this way.

I'm hoping to do some more of those blogger roundups in the near future--they brought out some really interesting thinking.

DK

Melissa said...

Posts of yours I haven't read. Awesome. You found me in October 2008, so certainly there are ones I still haven't seen!

I want to make the pork in guajillo chile sauce. I already have a bag at home, so it would be a cinch. We could make multiple meals outta that.

I also clicked on a "related post" under the pork, your little tidbit about the bhut jolokia. I'm not sure how I missed the fact that you are a chile head (or maybe I knew, and forgot, drunkenly), but... *fist bump*.

Daniel said...

Melissa, fist bump right back at ya. :) And be sure to tell me how it comes out--it's truly a great, great recipe.

DK

Lo said...

Big fist bump to a fellow chile-head and foodie thinker.

Totally appreciate the links to past articles, since blog reading isn't my full-time gig. Simply can't keep up with you!