CK Friday Links--Friday April 18, 2014

Links from around the internet. As always, I welcome your thoughts.

PS: Follow me on Twitter!

*************************
Food labels aren't just labels: they evoke beliefs which actually affect our physiological response to food. (Jayson Lusk)

2014 may be one of the more volatile years for food prices. (Bloomberg)

Interesting review of the new book Caffeinated. (A Sweet Life) Related: How "Big Coffee" puts profits before people. (Casual Kitchen)

Excellent profile of Tom Lehrer, one of the 20th Century's most influential comedians. (BuzzFeed)

A Tesla car is a lot less green than you might think. (Slate)

Why there must be stock market crashes. (The Motley Fool)

You debt is an EMERGENCY. (Mr. Money Mustache)

Diamonds are bullsh*t! (Pricenomics)

When did being busy become some kind of mark of social status? (Slate)

Hooked: how companies create habit-forming products. (Farnam Street)



Got an interesting article or recipe to share? Want some extra traffic at your blog? Send me an email!


How can I support Casual Kitchen?
Easy. Do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site! You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

I enjoyed the diamonds are bullshit post. Too bad I didn't read it before 1995 when we got engaged.

My former company makes the material that goes into moissanite (an alternative to diamond that looks a lot like diamond and has similar reflective and thermal properties). I have a stone from them.

When I worked for them I would often wear it to parties, and get asked about it, and talk about it.

Just found out a few months ago that one of my spouse's coworkers bought one for their engagement ring. Yay me!

Daniel said...

Marcia,
Me too!! That was the main thought in my head while I read that article. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Back then I guess I wasn't in the habit of questioning cultural norms quite like I am now. :)

DK