CK Links--Friday September 12, 2014

Links from around the internet. As always, I welcome your thoughts.

PS: Follow me on Twitter!

*************************
How the Food Pyramid f*cked up my life. (Frugal Healthy Simple) Readers: I'll offer my own thoughts on this post in Tuesday's article here at CK.

The idea that spinach is a good source of iron isn't just a myth. It's two myths. (Jayson Lusk)

Useful tips for replacing refined grains with whole grains in your diet. (Whole Grains Council)

Shaking up the salt myth. (Chris Kresser)

How to be frugal and live a good life. (Tynan)

"When your mind isn't occupied with Managing Stuff, whole new vistas of creativity open up." (Ombailamos)

A speech is not an essay. (HBR)

My short career as a landlord. (Retirement: A Full Time Job)

Beguiled by a narrative. (Robert P. Seawright)


Got an interesting article or recipe to share? Want some extra traffic at your blog? Send me an email!


How can I support Casual Kitchen?
Easy. Do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site! You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.

1 comment:

chacha1 said...

Thanks for the link, Dan! :-)

The article on salt was fascinating. Nice and sciency.

The piece on the Food Pyramid was not really news but I enjoyed it anyway. Got a little sad though over one of the comments ... she cites three soft-tissue injuries and says "I may never run again" and I just think "did you not see a physical therapist? and if not, why not?" Those things can be FIXED.

Another commenter points out the vital distinction between carbs and starches. So many people miss this. Not a distinction I guess so much as a subset. If you fill up on veggies and a little fruit, you are not going to miss the starches (grains, potatoes) nearly as much, AND you are not going to have blood-sugar spikes (unless you are preparing your veggies with added sugar).