CK Links--Friday January 2, 2015

Welcome back from the holidays! Thanks for indulging me as I took a short break from posting towards the end of December. And in case you missed it, be sure to look over Casual Kitchen's best posts of the past year. There's some stuff in there I'm really proud of.

Now, let's get to the links! As always, I welcome your thoughts.

PS: Follow me on Twitter!
*************************
Is obesity really "nobody's fault"? (Nautilus, via Addicted to Canning)

Beware when the media starts with a narrative and finds facts to fit it. (Jayson Lusk)

Absolutely hilarious to see how Chinese retailers try to emulate, copy and outright rip off foreign brands. Once again, remember: branding disempowers consumers. (New York Times)

"Mondegreens" are funny, and they give us insight into how our minds make meaning out of sound. (New Yorker)

Unexpected insights from tracking time, from the author of All the Money in the World and 168 Hours. (Laura Vanderkam)

Making the Internet a little bit freer of bullshit. (Raptitude)

"There are things in their life that are broken, and life is hard for everyone." (The Slow Hunch)

Another debate fallacy to know! "The Motte and Bailey Argument." (Slate Star Codex)

Why running hurts... everywhere. (Wired)

How to spot a terrible forecaster. (A Wealth of Common Sense)

"Pushups if late." (Tynan)

Book recommendation: Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown. An extremely useful and inspiring handbook on how to eliminate the trivial from your life to make room for the meaningful. Highly, highly recommended, and an excellent book to pair with William Irvine's A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy.






Got an interesting article or recipe to share? Want some extra traffic at your blog? Send me an email!


How can I support Casual Kitchen?
Easy. Do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site! You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.

No comments: