CK Links--Friday May 15, 2015

Links from around the internet!

Don't forget! The easiest way to support Casual Kitchen is to buy your items at Amazon using the various links here. Just click over to Amazon, and EVERY purchase you make during that visit pays a modest affiliate commission to support my work here. Best of all, this comes at zero extra cost to you.

As always, I welcome your thoughts.

PS: Follow me on Twitter!

*************************

Eleven things to do to make your baked goods better. For what it's worth, I totally disagree with #2 and #5. (Bon Appetit)

Diets don't work. But these two strategies do. (Washington Post)

With so many changes and reversals in dietary thought over the past decades, it makes you wonder if we really know anything about nutrition at all. (First We Feast)

Why do people eat processed foods? (Frugal Healthy Simple)

Striking thoughts on the possible reversibility of Type II Diabetes: "A lot of people have perhaps too simplistically thought that once the pancreas starts to fail, and stop producing insulin, it is an inevitable decline." (Daily Mail)

What really happens to the plastic bottle you throw away? While I very much agree with this short video's sentiments, it's a useful critical thinking exercise to take note of the various manipulation techniques it uses to persuade. (Youtube)

A hipster mustache signals... what? (Noahpinion)

"Rationally, no one should be happier about a score of 96 out of 137 (70 percent) than 72 out of 100, but my students were." Fascinating article about how irrelevancies alter our thinking. (New York Times)

An avalanche of unnecessary medical care is harming patients physically and financially. Long-ish but worth it. (New Yorker)

A good discussion of the various problems, side-effects and unintended consequences of raising the minimum wage. (Carpe Diem)

We run the risk of failing to meet our goals because "one-time events" keep happening. (Behavior Gap)

The Millennial generation is about to get systematically screwed over. (Forbes)


Got an interesting article or recipe to share? Want some extra traffic at your blog? Send me an email!


How can I support Casual Kitchen?
Easy. Do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site! You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.

3 comments:

chacha1 said...

That New Yorker piece is great. I've bookmarked it so I can send it to my folks. :-)

Recently had an "unnecessary" scan myself - an MRI to determine whether I was a good candidate for a procedure that was an alternative to hysterectomy.

As it turned out, I chose the hysterectomy anyway; and pathology indicates that the alternative procedure probably wouldn't have solved my problems over the long term. So in hindsight it was definitely an "unnecessary" MRI. But then, according to some health types (lots of whom are men) most hysterectomies are "unnecessary."

I elected to have the scan because I knew I had enough money in my Health Savings Account to pay my entire out-of-pocket maximum for the year. That number would have been met by either procedure, so getting the scan was essentially free.

I will compensate for the radiation by continuing to get mammograms every 2-3 years, and not every year, the way my local imaging center would like me to. :-)

Daniel said...

Yes, that article was really striking to me too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Chacha!

Marcia said...

The Washington post article was interesting. Totally works too. It's depressing though that diets don't work.

Also the New Yorker piece was fascinating.