Start Here

I have two goals here at Casual Kitchen: to help my readers become more empowered consumers, and to help my readers make cooking a bigger, better, and less expensive part of their lives.

Most of the recipes you will find here will be amazingly inexpensive (or laughably cheap as I prefer to phrase it), and the advice you'll find here addresses things like getting faster and more efficient at cooking, how to cook great food for less money, how to cook for company, how to modify recipes, how to become less error-prone in the kitchen, how to save money on spices and cereal, or how to apply concepts like scale or the 80/20 Rule to cooking.

If this is your first time visiting this site, I recommend you start with some of CK's key pages:

Most Popular Posts
The ten posts here at CK with the most pageviews.

Best of Casual Kitchen
My best articles.

Chronological Index of Posts
A full index of every post over the history of Casual Kitchen, broken out by month.

Media mentions:
Casual Kitchen profiled in the Chicago Sun-Times
Casual Kitchen mentioned in the New York Times

RSS Feeds
Here's one. Here's another. Here's yet another. Also, if you would like Casual Kitchen delivered to you by email, look for the "Subscribe me!" form on the upper right margin of this page.

Index of Recipes
A list of all recipes in Casual Kitchen broken out by food categories, followed by a complete alphabetized recipe index.

My FAQ
I wrote this quite a while ago, and it makes me cringe a little bit, but there it is. I reserve the right to change it at some point in the future when I get around to it.

Contact the Author:
For all media inquiries, advertising inquiries and reader inquiries: please email me here.

And in case you really can't get enough of me, here are my other blogs:

1) Quick Writing Tips
Short posts on how to write more effectively and more efficiently.

2) 101 Classical Music CDs
For classical music junkies only. I've got a collection of great classical music that for years was collecting dust. I finally decided to listen to it. This is a chronicle of that experience.

3) What I Just Read Reviews of the books I've been reading lately--a wide mix of non-fiction and fiction. I welcome reader comments and any reading suggestions.

4) Sabbatical Travels
A joint blog, written with my wife Laura, chronicling our travels and other activities while we're taking a break from the work world. A particular highlight: the index of posts from our New Zealand trip!

5) A Year in Manhattan
A blog about our final year of living in New York City, with emphasis on lower Manhattan and the financial district.