This Casual Kitchen original recipe can be made from start to finish in under 30 minutes, and the cost is a truly laughably cheap $1.15 per serving. It's mild tasting, healthy and delicious, and you'll be able to serve it to vegetarians, vegans and even gluten-free eaters.
However, if you have a guest who won't eat chickpeas, you're in trouble.
Savory Moroccan Chickpeas
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced into strips
4-5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1" square fresh ginger, minced or grated
1 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or more, to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (or about 3 cups cooked chickpeas)
3/4 cup water or vegetable stock
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
3-4 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
1) Saute onions, garlic, jalapeno and ginger in oil on medium heat for 7 minutes, until onions are soft but not browned. Add spices and saute another 2-3 minutes.
2) Add chickpeas and the water or stock. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 7 minutes. Then uncover, add the tomatoes, stir well, and simmer for another 3-5 minutes until tomatoes are just beginning to soften.
3) Remove from heat, add fresh parsley, and serve over rice or couscous.
1) One thing you might notice about this recipe: there is no salt added whatsoever. The mix of spices is so fragrant and flavorful your guests won't even miss it.
2) If you have some extra homemade vegetable stock around, fell free to use it, but plain water also works well in this dish. I recommend avoiding store-bought stock or bouillon.
3) This dish is quite flexible and can be served warm over rice or couscous, or you can let it cool and serve it by itself as a cold salad. Enjoy!
Shrimp in Tomato Sauce: Middle Eastern Cuisine
Fattoush! A Middle Eastern Salad Recipe
Red Lentils and Rice: Two Cooking Lessons From A Cheap and Easy Dish
Invigorate Your Cooking with Fresh Herbs
How can I support Casual Kitchen?
If you enjoy reading Casual Kitchen, tell a friend and spread the word! You can also support me by purchasing items from Amazon.com via links on this site, or by linking to me or subscribing to my RSS feed. Finally, you can consider submitting this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to bookmarking sites like del.icio.us, digg or stumbleupon. Thank you for your support!