CK Friday Links--Friday April 13, 2012

Here's yet another selection of interesting links from around the internet. As always, I welcome your thoughts and your feedback.

PS: Follow me on Twitter!

*************************
Fascinating. A vegan diet may not be the least harmful, once you consider all the animals inadvertantly killed during crop production. (Oregon State University)

Ten reasons to take a few hours on your days off to stock your freezer with delicious, freezer-friendly meals. (Budget Bytes)

Eat like an economist, order the ugliest-sounding thing on the menu, and avoid restaurants with beautiful women. From the new book An Economist Gets Lunch. (New York Times, via Grow. Cook. Eat.)

A great idea from Jules: If you think of soup recipes in terms of "templates" it's way easier to cook with whatever ingredients you have on hand. (Stonesoup Diaries)

No one's coming to save you from your weight problem. (344 Pounds)

Recipe Links:
An instant keeper: Thai Red Curry Chicken. (Alosha's Kitchen)

Great for using all those leftover veggies in your fridge: Loaded Stuffed Peppers. (Cindy's Table) Bonus Post: Green Pea Pesto!

Off-Topic Links:
Book recommendation of the week: The Mindful Carnivore by Tovar Cerulli. This brand-new book is an insightful memoir of a vegan who gives up a plant-based diet to embrace, of all things, hunting. Well-written and truly provocative. PS: I'll run a full review post on Tovar's book in the coming weeks--stay tuned!

Striking--and freeing--thoughts about the rat race. (Techcrunch)

An even more striking anti-media screed by actress Ashley Judd, in which she calls out women for being mysognistic "denigrating abusers" of the female body image. (The Daily Beast)







Do you have an interesting article or recipe that you'd like to see featured in Casual Kitchen's Food Links? Send me an email!


How can I support Casual Kitchen?
If you enjoy reading Casual Kitchen, tell a friend and spread the word! You can also support me by purchasing items from Amazon.com via links on this site, or by linking to me or subscribing to my RSS feed. Finally, you can consider submitting this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to bookmarking sites like del.icio.us, digg or stumbleupon. Thank you for your support!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I thought you'd like that Budget Bytes post. ;) And thanks for the curry recipe shout out. I made it again this week and it was wonderful. Hooray for repeatable recipes.

Also interested in The Mindful Carnivore. I look forward to your review.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the OSU article on vegan diets and field animal mortality. I have wondered about that very subject for a while now. I am a gardener. I try to use organic products whenever possible. I don't know how many Vegans have ever read labels on organic fertilizers. Most have fish meal, bone meal, blood meal, and feather meal included. You will also see lots of manure from both poultry and cattle both included in fertilizer or sold separately in bags. I'm sure that most of that comes from industrially raised animals. You can even buy a liquid fish emulsion to use as a spray-on fertilizer to feed your vegetable plants through the leaves.

Daniel said...

Anonymous, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have to give quite a bit of credit to Tovar Cerulli and his book The Mindful Carnivore for getting me to think about this, and for pointing me towards some of the literature on both sides of this debate.

By the way, next week I'll run a link to a post taking the exact opposite position.

Melissa, thanks on both counts. You've really been on fire lately with excellent recipes!

Finally, as to my review of Tovar's book, I've got it slated to run on April 24. Stay tuned!

DK

chacha1 said...

Looking forward to Mindful Carnivore. I'd like to think I am mindful, but there is undoubtedly a lot I am missing.

A few years ago, I read about an entrepreneur who was raising dwarf sheep and renting them to biodynamic/organic vineyards. After using the sheep to "mow" the rows, the farmers almost all immediately saw greater abundance of wildlife in their fields.

Any time I see a combine harvester at work (and I see one every time we drive through the Central Valley ... chewing through the plants and kicking up enormous clouds of dust that travel for hundreds of miles) I can't help but think of the birds and other small creatures that had been living in the fields.