On Creativity

"Every morning, upon awakening, I experience a supreme pleasure: that of being Salvador Dali, and I ask myself, wonderstruck, what prodigious thing will he do today, this Salvador Dali."
--Salvador Dali

Wouldn't it be amazing to wake up like this? Even just once?

I'll confess, my first reaction was to laugh out loud at Dali's sheer grandiosity. But then I reframed his quote in my mind and thought to myself, hmmmm... maybe he's on to something. Maybe--every once in a while--we all need a little grandiosity and extra-heavy-duty confidence.

Most things--even hilariously grandiose statements that might rub you the wrong way on a first read--can be rethought or reframed into a form that helps you, helps your mindset, or helps motivate you to be more productive.

So I kept reframing: what can I do to encourage this kind of mood, this kind of state of mind in myself?

Hey, maybe I ought to try saying the following to myself once a day, just to see what happens:

"Every morning, upon awakening, I experience a supreme pleasure: that of being [my name], and I ask myself, wonderstruck, what prodigious thing will he do today, this [my name]."
--[My name]

If I start developing a grandiosity complex I can always cut back to saying it once a week.

Readers, have you ever leaped out of bed like Salvadore Dali? In a mood of pure creativity, pure confidence, pure wonder at what you might accomplish in the coming day?


READ NEXT: On Writing for Casual Kitchen

How can I support Casual Kitchen?
Easy. Do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site! You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.

No comments: