Readers, just a quick housekeeping update: after today's post I'm going to take a hiatus here at Casual Kitchen for the next few weeks. I'll be back with some new posts in October!
You can prepare this hearty, protein-packed soup in about 40 minutes for under a dollar a serving. And it makes a ton. It’s a classic example of a highly scalable recipe: From just a single, not-very-long cooking session in your kitchen, you and your family can enjoy many healthy, low-cost meals.
I hope you love this delicious, inexpensive soup recipe as much as we did. Enjoy!
Almost Meatless Sausage and Chickpea Stew
4-5 Tablespoons olive or canola oil
2 onions, chopped coarsely
1 teaspoon paprika
½ to ¾ teaspoon black pepper and salt, to taste
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2-3 links sausage, cut into bite-sized chunks
3 carrots, chopped
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
1-2 bouillon cubes, to taste
About 7-8 cups of water (enough to cover everything)
3-4 potatoes, peeled (if desired), and cubed
2 14.5 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and well-rinsed
Handful of fresh parsley (optional)
1) In a large soup pot, saute onions, garlic, paprika, black pepper/salt and sausage pieces in oil over medium high heat until onions and sausage are beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
2) Add carrots, diced tomatoes and 1-2 bouillon cubes, bring to a boil and simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
3) Add water, potatoes and chickpeas. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, add optional fresh parsley, combine well and serve immediately.
1) Once again, as all Casual Kitchen readers well know, eating healthy food doesn’t have to be time-consuming, difficult or expensive. Here’s a rundown of the cost of today’s recipe:
diced tomatoes $1.00
chick peas: $1.20
spices, oil, bouillion cubes: ~75c
Total: $8.44, or 84c/serving.
2) A quick thought about why I borrowed/stole the phrase "Almost Meatless" and used it in the title of today's recipe. It's a sincere homage to one of the most intriguing cookbooks I've ever reviewed here at Casual Kitchen: Joy Manning and Tara Mataraza Desmond's brilliant cookbook Almost Meatless. I've featured it a few times here at CK, most recently in the unusual Almost Meatless Potato Corn Chowder, which was part of my new-recipe-a-day trial in June. If you're looking for a collection of intriguing recipes that will help you adopt a more conscientious diet and cut your food bill, be sure to take a look at this cookbook!
Read Next: The Best of Casual Kitchen 2014
How can I support Casual Kitchen?
Easy. Do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site! You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.