No Longer a Good Source of 7 Vitamins and Minerals

About a year and a half ago I published a post laughing out loud at the arrogance of Kellogg's to write, prominently, on the packaging of their Brown Sugar Cinnamon flavor Pop-Tarts this inadvertently hilarious claim:

"Good Source of 7 Vitamins and Minerals"

Here, have a look at the post yourself. And have a look at my photo of the outer packaging--again from a bit over a year ago:


I had to call Kellogg's out for being jokers, I couldn't help myself. It's embarrassing--there's no other word for it--to make claims like this.

Well, interestingly, just last week I bought another box of Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts. Later, while I was looking at the label, I noticed something.... missing. Readers, can you see what it is?


We consumers are so lucky: we get to laugh twice! First at the company for adding the inadvertently hilarious labeling claim, and then again when they quietly, sheepishly, remove it.

Readers, what do you think about these kinds of labeling claims?


Read Next: Interview with Jayson Lusk, Author of "The Food Police"


How can I support Casual Kitchen?
Easy. Do all your shopping at Amazon.com via the links on this site! You can also link to me or subscribe to my RSS feed. Finally, consider sharing this article, or any other article you particularly enjoyed here, to Facebook, Twitter (follow me @danielckoontz!) or to bookmarking sites like reddit, digg or stumbleupon. I'm deeply grateful to my readers for their ongoing support.

1 comment:

chacha1 said...

It's the same as Lucky Charms being labeled a good source of whole grains. :-) Food labeling is mostly a load of nonsense ... I try to ignore it. If I am buying junk food, I'm aware it's junk food, and I don't need any magical thinking about added vitamins or whole grains to persuade myself that it's somehow good for me. Basically I consider that any food product that comes in a cardboard box is junk, (or else it's pasta, which is only arguably not junk).